Monday 28 April 2008

A lazy day

This morning I sorted out day trips to various places over the next two weeks. The reason I chose to come and stay at this complex was because it is possible to go on guided tours of places that are not all that easy to get to alone. I'm looking forward to visits to the Alhambra Palace, Seville, Gibraltar, Tangier and a mountain train ride to Ronda.

After this I went and sussed out the shops in the complex - many were of course not open on Saturday evening or Sunday. I think some people are concerned about my being so far from home on my own; well, I can tell you that the biggest danger here is not getting my "5 portions" every day. There are two English butchers and an English pie shop, but no greengrocer! One of the minimarkets sells a bit of fresh fruit and veg, but not much.

After all this activity, I came back to the apartment, ate my pasty from the pie shop, and went to sleep. I need to recharge my batteries a bit after all the travelling last week.

My concept of time is bit strange at the moment. It's three weeks since Roger and I sailed away from the UK, but in some ways it doesn't seem all that long. So many people back home are in my thoughts and prayers that it seems very recently that I've seen everyone. It is 10 days since Roger waved me off at Saumur station before he headed back home, and that seems a very long time ago. I seem to have managed to cram so much into the time that my brain is telling me that I must have been travelling for weeks - and my feet are inclined to agree!