Saturday 26 April 2008

Where am I?

Believe it or not, this is Atocha Station in Madrid! What appears to be the original railway area is now this rather impressive concourse with a tropical garden in the centre.

It's 7.20am and I'm far too early for my train. The hotel booked me a taxi, but I wanted to give myself an alternative option in case it didn't arrive, so I asked for it with time to spare. In fact, it turned up on the dot of 7.00am.

A very nice young Italian lady was outside looking for a taxi to the airport, so we shared it to here, then she carried on. She had lived in Derby for a time with her (now ex) boyfriend who worked for Rolls Royce.

Both the main stations in Madrid are very modern - I came in at the other one on Wednesday. The signs are in Spanish and English, and here the announcements are even in both languges.

A security guard is going round waking up people who've obviously slept here. Security is very tight at the stations, presumably since the terrorist attack a few years ago. This station obviously wakes up at 7.30! The lighting had been fairly subdued, then there was a loud 'bong' and all the bright lights came on.